Thursday, May 30, 2013

don't be troubled or afraid

Sometimes when you read the bible..do you chuckle? Maybe shaking your head, knowing that what the author wrote is so relatable but for a completely different reason?
Maybe my mind is a little too imaginative and the wandery type. But I am sure you can imagine with me...

David...penning the 56th Psalm..some of his words sound like a desperate middle schooler calling for God to help him,

1 O God, have mercy on me,
for people are hounding me.
My foes attack me all day long.
2 I am constantly hounded by those who slander me,
and many are boldly attacking me.


and then...

5 They are always twisting what I say;
they spend their days plotting to harm me.
6 They come together to spy on me—
watching my every step, eager to kill me.


Ok, hopefully there are no plots for killing...but you understand the drama, right?

 
8 You keep track of all my sorrows,
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.

...the good Lord knows how many tears are shed by these young people...

I guess what is reassuring to know is that God did hear His pleas and that He does hear the cries and heartaches of our teens. And He hears our adult woes as well...

It sure is a good thing that He is in charge because there are a lot of middle schoolers out there..a lot of David's. Too many times I feel like a 'David'...oh Lord...why can't life be more simple and there be less hurt and sorrow? Too much pain God....Why not simplify things a bit and do away with all the evil?

...come to think of it..He did that once, and then he promised not to do it again...

And I think about it for a moment...and am pretty glad for it...for that promise and others...

4 I praise God for what he has promised.
I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortals do to me?


You hear that? Mere mortals...they can do nothing to me. Why? Because I trust in God. He has made promises that He will fulfill.

He promises to never leave you or forsake you...

He knows the plans He has for you, they are for good and not for disaster,
to give you a hope and a future.

He will give you rest when you are weary...

He will supply all your needs...



and so very many more...


“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27

 






No comments:

Post a Comment